Tocayos

Tocayos are people who share the same name. See Michael Herrick’s tocayos or read about the Meaning and Etymology of Tocayo.

Tocayo—Meaning and Etymology

This is a useful Spanish word with no English counterpart. I’m not sure how widespread it is but it is definitely in use in Northern New Mexico. Tocayo, or feminine tocaya, means roughly, “A person who shares your first name.” The closest English translation would be namesake, but the Spanish usage differs significantly.

12 more paragraphs

Michael Herrick, quarterback

One of my tocayos managed to bump me off the number one Google spot for a few years. Yes, I check. Is that wrong? I’ve recently overtaken him and reclaimed my accustomed first place position on the search results page for Michael Herrick. But for how long?

From Jack Central:

Herrick was a PrepStar All-America selection while playing at Valencia High School and was named Junior All-American by Studentsports.com. He is the all-time leading passer in California history with more than 11,000 yards. Herrick threw 73 career TD passes, and he was a finalist for 2005 California Mr. Football. While in high school, Herrick was rated the No. 48 quarterback in the nation by Scout.com and the No. 56 quarterback in the nation by ESPN.com.

Michael Herrick, arrested for grand theft auto

This tocayo was arrested in Florida for car theft and writing a worthless check. Stats say he’s 6’ 7”. It would be fun to see him go up against the quarterback. More details

Michael Herrick, New Zealand Bomber Pilot

Meet mi tocayo, Michael Herrick, a bomber pilot from New Zealand killed in World War II. One of his brothers shared a name with my dad, Dennis Herrick and another with my cousin, Brian. They were also killed in the war.

From New Zealand History Online:

Michael James Herrick was one of five brothers to serve during the Second World War. He flew with distinction during the Battle of Britain and in the Pacific before being killed on air operations over Denmark.

Posted to No. 25 Squadron at the age of 18, Herrick flew Bristol Blenheim light bombers on night patrols during the Battle of Britain. In September 1940 he scored the squadron’s first victories of the war – shooting down two Heinkel He 111 bombers within minutes of each other. Herrick destroyed another bomber nine days later, meaning he personally accounted for three of the four victories achieved by Fighter Command during night operations that month. Herrick’s achievements were recognised with the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC).

Log In

What's New

To legalize or to moot?
Ayn Rand